Tuesday, July 12, 2011

the anatomy of a post-help! hit (revolver)

Here's the next categorization of song genres. It's the latest step in my big project, which you can read about here.



Let's see what Revolver has for us:

Ballads (4)
Eleanor Rigby
Here, There, and Everywhere
Good Day Sunshine
For No One

Psychedelic Rock (1)
Tomorrow Never Knows

Raga Rock (1)
Love You To

Novelty/Parody Songs (1)
Yellow Submarine

Heavy Rock (6)
Taxman
I'm Only Sleeping
She Said, She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
I Want to Tell You
Got to Get You Into My Life

Rockabilly-style rock (1)
Doctor Robert

So Revolver seems to be mostly heavy rock, with a surprising number of ballads as well, but it's got something in every category! What does that tell us about post-Help! hit anatomy? You'll have to wait and see! In the mean time, let me know what you think about my categorization (and the project in general) in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,

    I dont agree with you regarding the term "heavy rock"
    I think only two tracks could be regarded "heavy"
    Revoltion and Helter Skelter !!
    Good blog though !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for reading! I agree with you that those two tracks are the only "heavy rock" tracks, as the term is usually used. I'll have to clarify what I mean by it in this context in my next post.

    Cheers,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete